What is the best way to exfoliate your face? What is skin exfoliation, and how is it done? When we notice that our skin looks dull, dehydrated, with imperfections, blotchy, pores are dilated, we should make an exfoliation.
But we do not know what it is to exfoliate the skin and less how to do it, how often we have to do it, what advice we should keep in mind to make a good exfoliation.
Below you will find the answers to the question “what is the best way to exfoliate your skin? And you will know what ingredients you can use at home to make a homemade exfoliant.
What is exfoliation?
It is a natural process that makes the skin every 28 days. Our bodies remove the dead cells from the epidermis.
And remove toxins and impurities because, from the inside, the cells are regenerating, releasing the excess.
But, the external factors put slow this process, and it brings the consequence of little oxygenation of the skin, it doesn’t absorb the nutrients either the humidity.
With the shedding, we look for a uniform tone of the skin to improve the dilated pores’ appearance, give luminosity to the surface, promote the texture, and help that it penetrates more the treatments we realize and the makeup.
When to perform a peel?
Each type of skin has a specific time to make it:
- Oily skin: 1 to 2 times per week.
- Dry skin: 1 time per week
- Sensitive skin: 1 time every 15 days.
What is the best way to exfoliate your face? Tips for a good exfoliation
What is exfoliation, and how is it done? Next, we will see how we can do a good exfoliation.
Choose an exfoliating cream for your skin type
Choose your exfoliating cream with your skin type in mind.
Use a specific exfoliant
Exfoliants are different for each area of the body:
- Face: contains micro granules.
- Body: the pimples it contains are a little bigger.
- Hands and feet: the granules are more significant and pointed.
Prepare the skin before exfoliation
Before exfoliating, we must clean the surface very thoroughly with neutral soap and remove it with a towel soaked in warm water, to open the pores.
Apply the exfoliant with your wet face
Apply the exfoliant with the face wet, to distribute it more easily.
Use it correctly
- We must apply it with gentle circular movements, without applying pressure because it can irritate the skin.
- We have to perform the massages in an upward motion from the inside out.
- It is distributed with the fingertips evenly.
The areas of the body that we have to exfoliate the most are elbows and feet.
Remove the exfoliant with cold or warm water
Remove with plenty of cold or lukewarm water, but never hot. We should use cold water.
Use moisturizing cream
At the end of a peel, apply a moisturizing cream, as it is absorbed more quickly.
Exfoliate once a week
The ideal is to do the peel once a week; otherwise, we could damage our skin, and we could remove the layers that are in good condition.
Do not perform if you have mild burns, irritation, or have been exposed to the sun.
Do it at night
Try to exfoliate at night, to avoid exposure to the sun.
To see results, you have to be consistent every week and for several weeks.
Test in small areas
Before applying a scrub, test a small area of the skin to see if it does not irritate.
How can I exfoliate my face at home? The best homemade exfoliants
Sugar and honey
It removes dead cells, cleanses pores, and eliminates dryness.
- In a bowl, mix two tablespoons of sugar and two tablespoons of honey.
- Take it with your fingers, and apply it to clean skin with circular movements.
- Do it once a week.
Lemon and bicarbonate
It helps whiten the skin and eliminate blackheads.
- In a container, mix equal amounts of lemon juice and baking soda.
- Before applying it do an allergy test on a small area of the body.
Coffee body scrub
- 1 cup of coffee.
- 1-2 tablespoons of any oil ( sunflower, olive, grape).
- A spoonful of honey.
- Ten drops of Rosehip oil, the necessary amount of shower gel.
- Mix all the ingredients very well in a container. Please keep it in the fridge.
Use it once a week, applying it all over the body.
Exfoliant for sensitive rice skin
- 1/2 cup of rice.
- Wash the rice very well and let it dry overnight.
- Please put it in the blender and blend for 4 to 5 minutes.
Pass the powder through a filter to make it thinner, and apply it to wet skin at night and rinse.
Ripe banana peel
Nourishes the skin, illuminates and softens it.
- Crush a ripe banana until it becomes a puree, then add four tablespoons of sugar.
- Mix very well until we achieve a thick consistency, add more sugar if needed.
- Apply to the face or body and rinse.
You can replace the sugar with sea salt.
Chocolate body scrub
- Mix 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of canola oil, two teaspoons of cocoa powder, very well in a covered container.
- Massage the entire wet body with the exfoliant and rinse with plenty of water.
- It lasts four days well covered in a chilly, dry environment.
Elbow and knee exfoliator made of flaxseed and honey
- Integrate into a container 1 cup of honey with 1/2 glass of warm water, add 25 grams of linseed, until obtaining a homogeneous mixture.
- Apply to elbows and knees, rub, leave for 3 minutes, and then rinse.
Unique body scrub for areas with calluses
We will need 1/4 cup of sea salt and 1/4 cup of coconut or olive oil.
Join the ingredients well, and massage the body with the wet skin until it turns pink, rinse with warm water.
What is the best way to exfoliate your face? We should not abuse exfoliants because they can damage the skin barrier and cause severe irritation. The ideal is to do a peel once a week.
To choose a peel, you must know what type of skin you have and what it needs.